In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions or real media products?
My media product adopt the conventional features of a real music video as I had planned using the methodology of creating a storyboard before hand to establish the timings and shot types before going into the product process. The shot types are very conventional and are very stereotypical of a music video for example shot types such as mid-shot and close-ups are used in order for the audience to see the musician singing in time to the lyrics and appear it has been done onset. Typical straight cuts transition between each shot and the different scenes look fluent and unnoticeable by the microphone so that the musician can interact with the music more; this again reinforces to the audience the genre of rock music which heavily relies on physical instruments to create an entire song. Although it does challenge typical music videos are there is no variety in set locations for the entire duration of the video. The White background allowed the focus to be central on the musicians throughout. This is further unconventional as music videos tend to use location to correlate with the theme of a song or in general or can even create a short storyline using beginning, middle and end. In this way the video challenges this concept using minimalistic approach which still engages the audience.
How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?
Since my ancillary texts I believe I have advanced thoroughly in the preparation, production and editing stages of my main product. The preparation before filming greatly improved as in my ancillary texts there was no planning into what shots or angle would be used. Whereas for my main product I created a storyboard of each shot and relevant information about each shot; such as the time duration, shot type, transition and lighting using to create it. These were further listed into shot numbers which allowed me to create a 'shot log' so I could systematically tick off every completed shot; this made me aware of how far in the later production stages we had reached and what necessary props and people were needed to create it. In terms of actual production it was much more effective as we were able to use a tripod to create accurate and level to floor shots whereas hand-held shots were used in our previous ancillary texts. This made me realise the importance of camera positioning and the way it can dramatically affect the appearance of a shot and thus the way the audience interpret it. I also learnt the effectiveness of the '180 degree rule' when filming otherwise this can confused the audience perspective and create extreme difficulty in working out the positioning and movement of a person in the shot. It is also important as the 180 degree rule will then resemble the person's own perspective in the shot so the audience can form a connection with them as they will see the same things.
What have you learned from your audience feedback?
From my audience feedback I have learned that a wide variety of location shots could have been used where appropriate such as outdoors in order to an urban and realistic look. Also, the camera work could have remained more stable so it would look more professional. I can work on this next time by ensuring shot playback after a shot has been filmed and ensure that they have been filmed to the best quality without the camera being moved. I learned al that I could further experiment during the post-production process within editing and pre-empt using effects such as black and white or increasing contrast to create a washed out look. Another issue during feedback raised was sometimes the dramatic transition from a lyric shot to another so I should take into consideration while filming next time to commence filming until a few seconds further in.
How did you use media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?
During the research stages of my task, I used Adobe Premiere Elements in order to create a timeline of my preliminary videos. For the research of my replicated video I used Youtube the video hosting platform to view the video of 'The Kills - No Wow' which I was able to pause/play to help me note down shot types and information for my storyboard. Several screen shots were also taken to reference back to during production and post-production stages.
The equipment I used for all videos was a video camera which was used to captured the necessary takes for each clip. Again, I was able to use YouTube to aid with the lipsyncing during video takes which is vital in the later post-production stage to make an accurate video to audio clip.
No comments:
Post a Comment