Thursday, 1 November 2012

Digipak Background Pattern: Scan & Design Process

Here is the final end design I ended up with:






For my draft I scanned a 50s fabric pattern and sharpened both the contrast and brightness to create it into a flat graphic design.  I used the magic eraser to erase all the fabric lines, especially in the white space. This enabled me to give a clear image from which to then further edit the image without any anomalies occurring on the basic and so that it can be overlayed onto another colour. I took inspiration from Marina and the Diamond's 'The Family Jewels' album where, what would be considered 'old-fashioned', a fabric had been used a reoccurring theme for the background and behind a photo image. Although it is not immediately obvious, in fact the photo image from that CD cover has been edited onto the completely separate design of the fabric during the post-editing stages. This is clear to me due to the sharp lines of the neck and chin.

Album cover I took inspiration from

Flat image of the fabric design I ended up with
STEP BY STEP GUIDE ON THE BACKGROUND DESIGN
Firstly, I copy and pasted this graphic into my Digipak PSD file and measured it up to the pink guide lines on the Digipak template [1]. Whilst selecting the layer I choose the 'Gradient Map' option. I then edit the default gradient from black to my reoccurring coral pink colour and enter than into the gradient [2]. I then right click and select 'Merge Down' so that the Gradient Map is then only effective on the fabric design, this leaves the flowers in a pink colour but the background is still white [3]. To remove this I select the option 'Darker Colour' in the drop down box on the Layers tab [4]. This removes the white and creates a dark overlay and retains the floral pattern. I then repeat this onto all three back panels ready for further individual editing.

Step [1]

Step [2]


Step [3]

Step [4]


No comments:

Post a Comment